Thursday, March 13, 2008

PLN3

I read the article Yet Another Reason We Should Be Teaching, Not Blocking, Wikipedia from  weblogg-ed written by Will Richardson which talked about how Wikipedia needs to be taught not blocked. The article stated how Wikipedia is a source of knowledgeable information which needs to be taught how to use correctly. It ca be a great source of information and it can give you invalid information because anyone can edit it or write on it. It is key to check this source with other sources to guarantee accuracy. This source should not be "passed off" as unreliable or as a bad source. I am glad that i was taught how to use Wikipedia correctly because I can now use it and know that I will use it to its full potential.   

Wikipedia needs to be taught in schools. It is a skill everyone needs to understand how to use properly. It should not be ignored and just blocked from schools. Schools need to take the time to teach students that Wikipedia is a good reliable source of information especially the pages that get visited a lot.  Those pages are edited by so many people that the false items are almost Immediately edited. 

Overall, Wikipedia needs to be taught as a usable and a reliable source for information. It should not be ignored. I am glad I was taught about it and I hope that many others will also learn how to use it.

No comments: